Friday 23 August 2013

Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

Title: Shadow Kiss
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Released: November 13th 2008
Pages: 443 (Paperback)
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US
Add on Goodreads

It's springtime at St. Vladimir's Academy, and Rose Hathaway is this close to graduation. Since making her first Strigoi kills, Rose hasn't been feeling quite right. She's having dark thoughts, behaving erratically, and worst of all... might be seeing ghosts.

As Rose questions her sanity, new complications arise. Lissa has begun experimenting with her magic once more, their enemy Victor Dashkov might be set free, and Rose's forbidden relationship with Dimitri is starting to heat up again. But when a deadly threat no one saw coming changes their entire world, Rose must put her own life on the line - and choose between the two people she loves most.

So I originally was going to write this review straight away, BUT I WAS SO UPSET. I picked up Shadow Kiss because lately, my books have been good, but not great - throughout this entire month, I have rated no book five stars. I'd describe the Vampire Academy series as my safe zone - I know that they will be amazing, and I know that they will get me out of any book fix I'm in. And it worked - but also managed to break my heart at exactly the same time.

After Rose's best friend Lissa brought her back from the dead, Rose has been shadow-kissed, meaning that she has not only a connection to Lissa and her thoughts, but also the dead. On one hand, this means that she can see and interact with them. On the other hand, it means that Rose is constantly drained, with the bad energy from Lissa's spirit affinity transferring over to her. The bond and effects are only going stronger - combine this with Victor Dashkov's trial, Rose's feelings for Dimitri growing stronger, and Mason trying to reach out to her from the other side, and it is obvious that something big is coming, and the Academy must be ready.

I hate Richelle Mead! I hate her! I hate her so much that I just went out and bought Blood Promise because I can't get enough of her and her writing. Yeah, alright, I don't actually hate her; her books are some of my favourite out there, not just because of how unique each concept is, but because they capture my attention every single time. I literally don't put her books down - I can read them in entire sittings, never getting bored even for a second. For those of you who haven't read the Vampire Academy series, please go out and give it a try. I never thought I would like it this much to begin with, but I do.

Rose is one of my all-time-favourite heroines, even after all this time. She's gorgeous and makes the fact that she knows that obvious, yet I still don't hate her! She's feisty, badass, and is a great narrative to follow. I'm so happy that Mead has started to make more of a thing of the shadow-kissed bond. For the previous two novels, the reader has learnt little about it aside from the fact that Rose can get inside Lissa's head - now we're starting to understand the sheer magnitude of what Lissa did.

Dimitri and Rose...I SHIP IT! I am in love with Dimitri - you cannot read this series without developing a serious book crush on him! And then (SPOILER ALERT) SHE JUST HAD TO TURN HIM INTO A STRIGOI, DIDN'T SHE? I understand why she did it, and half of me loves the plot twist as it holds so much promise for the next three books. However, part of me does hate it - they had just gotten together and everything was fab and then...and then Strigoi happened. Sad face.

As per usual, the plot was thick and well-thought-out, with just enough depth to satisfy the reader without it being an overload of information. Shadow Kiss is possibly my favourite so far in the series, and I can't wait to start reading Blood Promise! I need to find out what happens with Dimitri!
Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THESE BOOKS. I hate Richelle too! She just rips your heart right out of you, doesn't she?!
    You think this is bad, Blood Promise is even worse. Heart-breaking. Absolutely destroying--in a good way ;)

    ~Tilly Hardcore Heroines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She totally does! I just bought Blood Promise - I am bracing myself for the hurt.

      Delete