Friday 26 October 2012

Follow Friday (#14)

Feature & Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read where you meet and follow different bloggers.

Question of the Week: What writing device or trick most irritates you when reading a book?

Oh dear, this will set me off on a rant. I hate hate hate it when author's force love triangles on the reader! Love triangles happen in a lot of different novels, and if they occur naturally, then I'm fine with them. But when authors spend most of the novel with the heroine contemplating on whether to be with the sweet, loving guy who cares so much about her, and the mysterious bad-boy who acts as if he couldn't give two hoots, it really gets on my nerves. Unless it is a trashy romance, novels should have more of a depth to their story than just a girl choosing between two guys.

Another thing that annoys me is when an author attempts to make the reader's believe that their novel is a piece of amazing literary work, when in reality, it isn't that great. A fantastical example of this is Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L.James - I've read it, and I honestly believe she was sat with a thesaurus open on her lap, changing every other word to something that sounds more prestigious. It didn't work.

So - what writing tricks annoy you? Love triangles? Wrong thesaurus use? Leave a comment below!

19 comments:

  1. I also like love triangles if the are done naturally. Like if a girl falls for a guy, but then something happens to make her think he is died. Then a few months or a year later she falls for another guy, but then we firgure out that the first guy didn't die.
    I like it when its something like that.
    Old follower.
    My F&F
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2012/10/friday-56-8-feature-friday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm fine with that. It's just when they're forced that irritates me ><

      Delete
  2. Oh, I agree with the love triangle thing - so annoying! And insta love too, - I have a new post about that on my blog. But personally, I don't care for cliffhangers, but mostly I hate anything that happens due to coincidence. I like logical steps to a conclusion.

    New follow via GFC.

    Julie~ New Adult Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'm going to go and check that post out now :D I like some cliffhangers, but others just annoy me :/

      Delete
  3. I agree, love triangles aren't always necessary, and this leads to them being really overused and disliked. New follow via GFC.

    Alise - My FF Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I just don't like it when authors push them onto the reader, because it makes them far more unrealistic.

      Delete
  4. I love your second point :)! It is so true...

    New Follower via GFC :)

    My FF Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answers! I don't read or write romance (as a genre) for that very reason. I always have relationship romance in my stories, but life is about more than JUST that, so books should be too. As for 50 Shades, I haven't read it, but I've read excerpts but I completely, totally, 100% REFUSE to read it. I'm totally with you on the, um...writing style. New follower here via GFC. My FFs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't like books that are only about the romance, because I just like thicker plots than, Oh he loves me, he loves me not. Never ever read 50 Shades - I only finished the book because I wanted to write a ranting review about it.

      Delete
  6. Hi. New follower here! I agree with forced love triangles. I don't want to read an entire book about a girl trying to figure out what hot guy she likes better. In real life that might be awesome but it doesn't happen ;) Thanks for sharing.

    Peace & Love
    Crystal @ YA Society

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely don't care for love triangles either, and hate reading how about a girl trying to decide between two boys. And usually the reader knows who she will end up with. I have no issue reading romance, and often really enjoy reading about two characters falling for each other, and developing a relationship, but I have no patience for love triangles.

    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - it's usually the mysterious hot guy, and she still ends up being friends with the adorable cute one. Yeah, I'd rather they just concentrate on the two that will get together, rather than trying to make the girl seem extremely desirable.

      Delete
  8. I 100% agree on the Horrid 50 Shades book, talk about trash, lol, written so bad, and immature, and repeating so many phrases and words, lol, I read enough of the horrid trash to get the idea, could not stomach the whole book, did alot of skipping, and the part at the tampon, did me in, almost threw up, and the book went in the trash, lol.

    I know what you mean about the forces love triangles too.

    FF Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I heard about the tampon bit! I was just like, There are some things no one should write about, and that's one of them.

      Delete
  9. I strongly agree with you.
    New Follower ;)
    Check out MY FF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super popular answer this time round! xD
    New GFC follower.
    Rinn (My FF)

    ReplyDelete