Friday 13 July 2012

Nina's Week At Waterstones: Day 5

So since I am in Year 10, we're scheduled to do work experience for a week - and finally the week has come! I got my placement at Waterstones last September/October time, so I have been excited to start for quite a while, and I thought that considering Waterstones is all about books, why don't I write a bit of an account about it on the blog? So that is basically what this is. Have fun laughing at my life!



I can't believe this was my last day! Throughout the week, it honestly started to feel like I had worked there since forever. Everyone was so lovely, and didn't snap at me for following them around like some kind of lost puppy for all of five days! I felt like I belonged, and I honestly owe that to all the staff.

Today, I started by searching for some stock (5 books had disappeared! I bet they will turn up soon, and everyone will be like, Yup, Nina is blind) and then went on a bit of a DIY mission to move five shelves down so that the study books were more accessible to the public. Let me tell you that I am never going to go forward with a career in building or architecture - it was all I could do not to let the bookcases collapse entirely. And even then I came pretty close (yes, slight overexaggeration, but shush). Then I went up and unpacked the deliveries, and to be absolute happiness, there were barely any Fifty Shades! Though to be fair, the whole front of the store is pretty much Fifty-Shade-Central. I took the trolley down that I loaded up yesterday, and was busy stickering them up for half the morning. I still find it awkward how they actually sell!

For the rest of the day, I mainly tidied up the kid's picture book selection (there are a lot of books, and people do not necessarily put the books back in the right place whilst browsing - so I went and cleared it all up. Yay me?) and then put away the stock. And you know what? For once, I barely used Phoenix, which is the programme used to find out what books goes where. Over the week, I've really learned a lot about the overall layout of the store, and I can even find my way around the Sci-Fi section (mad, isn't it?!)

And then the day was over, and I had to say my goodbyes. At one point, I really thought I was going to break down like some baby. I got a glowing report (which I was so pleased about because I'm not good at anything) and (here comes the bit where I started squeeling with excitement) I kind of got offered an oppurtunity to work for them over the Christmas break, when I'm actually 16. I know it's a while away yet, but I can't help with being already excited. I know our work experience week is supposed to open our eyes to the big world - and don't get me wrong, it did - but for me, it also gave me a chance to experience something I never thought I would. I mean, how many people get to say they worked at their favourite bookstore? Not many, I think. It was a great experience, and I can't wait to get back.

- Nina

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nina,
    I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading about your work experience with Waterstones. I'm a Waterstones bookseller myself, and will soon be running our work experience program. I have found these post helpful, so thanks! :D

    Kaylie :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the best method of applying for a placement?

      Delete
  2. Hey
    This is pretty after the date of the post but I was wondering how you applied for the work experience placement, did you simply go in store and ask or is there an email to contact them with?

    ReplyDelete