Wednesday 11 July 2012

Nina's Week At Waterstones: Day 3

So since I am in Year 10, we're scheduled to do work experience for a week - and finally the week has come! I got my placement at Waterstones last September/October time, so I have been excited to start for quite a while, and I thought that considering Waterstones is all about books, why don't I write a bit of an account about it on the blog? So that is basically what this is. Have fun laughing at my life!



I'm not gonna lie to you; it's the middle of the week, and my tiredness is starting to catch up with me. I think a combination of late nights, early mornings, actually moving and standing up for the majority of the day all add up to me being pretty darn exhausted; when I came home today, I literally collapsed. But despite my tiredness, I still had a lot of fun.

Today, we got a massive order of the entire Fifty Shades trilogy, and it was my job to sticker them and put them out onto display. Let's just say that by the end of it, every time I closed my eyes, one or another copy of the book would flash before me. And then, to make it even better, Chris came and told me that we still had a bunch more of it up in the delivery room. I swear that one day, I will just write a rant about these books. They sell so quickly, but I just can't help but wonder why. Many people have commented that the series is badly written and extremely awkward to read, so why does everyone carry on buying it? Although I have a cheap copy myself, and do plan to read it to see what all the fuss is about, I suppose I already know how I'm going to feel about it. From what I know, reading this book is practically stepping into E. L. James' sex fantasy - which makes the read even more awkward! I bet that in fifty years time, people will look back in absolute amazement (and not the good kind) that this kind of book was even published. But I suppose that if you have to look on the bright side, at least they can't make a movie out of this novel.

Anyway; for the majority of the day I just did stock, both downstairs in the fiction sections, and upstairs in non-fiction. Let me be the first to tell you that the non-fiction section is organized chaos! If you know your way around it, then you're okay. But if you don't, like me? Beware of getting completely lost. But it was a new experience, so I'm not going to fault it.

Overall, today was less eventful than some of the others, but I still enjoyed it very much. It is going to be so weird at the end of the week when I'll stop working there; I'll go in to buy a book, and I'll just be like "Oh, don't worry, you have a long clue; I'll just ring this up myself."

- Nina

2 comments: