Sunday 15 July 2012

Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy by Ally Carter

Title: Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy
Author: All Carter
Publisher: Orchard Books
Released: October 2nd 2007
Pages: 264 (Paperback)
Buy: Amazon


Cammie Morgan may have a genius IQ and attend the best school in the country, but as she starts the spring semester of her sophomore year there are a lot of things she doesn't know. Like will her ex-boyfriend even remember she exists? And how much trouble did she really get in last semester? And, most of all, exactly why is her mother acting so strangely?
All Cammie wants is a nice, normal semester, but she's about to learn her greatest lesson yet—that when you go to a school for spies, nothing is ever as it seems.



Okay, so I read this in a day. I'm still wondering whether I missed a huge chunk, or whether it was so freaking awesome the pages just flew by! The latter, perhaps? I loved the previous novel to this amazing series, so I took it out from my library literally as soon as it came in. Literally.

So this installment follows the further adventures of Cammie Morgan and her best friends at Gallagher Academy - a spy school for girls. However in this novel, boys are put into the mix, and yet again, Cammie finds herself trying to decide between her sisterhood and a pretty hot guy.

Like the last book, I loved how easy this was to read. Carter has an amazing ability to write to sound just like a teenage girl, which makes it easy to relate to, despite it being about spies. Sometimes, things got repeated an awful lot - for example, Cammie going on about her different spy-related successes. It's practically on every other page, and eventually it got on my nerves. But not so much that I threw the book across the room in a violent rage, so it wasn't that bad.

Again, like in the previous book, I loved all the characters. I felt sad that we didn't see more of Josh, and I don't know whether I said this in my last review, but although in the novel DeeDee is apparently impossible to hate, if she was real, I would definitely dislike her. She is incredibly annoying and I don't know how Bex hasn't kicked her yet. But I'm thinking that possibly her annoyingness is the point. Anyway, the only thing character-wise I would have improved on was the relationship between Cammie and Zach. I liked how their friendship started, but after a while it just became really confusing. Zach is a very secretive character, but I think that perhaps it would have been better if we'd found out just a little bit about him, because it became rather frustrating.

Even though I found this a nice and easy read, I am marking it down based on the fact that nothing really happened. I mean, it did, and the Code Black's were certainly interesting. But we didn't learn much from the novel, and I can't help feeling a little bit disappointed. But I'm still looking forward to read the third installment, and I definitely recommend this to any girl who likes spy novels - but not totally serious ones.
Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing the first book out in Wal-Mart when it release, but I haven't started this series yet. I think this series sounds really fun.

    Hopefully, you'll love the next book.

    ReplyDelete