Friday 8 June 2012

Fable: Blood Ties by Peter David

When they write down the histories of Albion, the name of Ben Finn will be remembered in honor. But at present, I'm feeling a bit of wanderlust-and I'm on the move again. I had to leave the beautiful Page behind, unfortunately. So, instead of a brave woman at my side, I've acquired a troublesome toadstool of a gnome who will neither leave me alone nor shut his insolent mouth.
Not that verbal barbs can hurt me-they're nothing compared to the foe that is assaulting the walled city of Blackholm. A mysterious warlord has been slowly devouring the surrounding lands, and Blackholm is putting up a fight. What better place for a drifting warrior to make his way and earn his pay?
But a darkness that no mortal can withstand is about to be unleashed. And it holds a secret that is bound with my very blood.

I've wanted to read this book for a while, so as soon as my friend, Amber, lent it to me, I started reading it immediately. As a lover of Fable, I think it was pretty obvious that I was going to love this story, especially since it revolves around Ben Finn, who is one of the main canons in Fable 3.

Firstly, I really like the fact that David wrote a continuation about Ben Finn, because at the end of Fable 3, he does joke about writing a book about his adventures, which is what this technically is. I've read David's first Fable novel, The Balverine Order, and to be frank I loved this one so much more. I think David's ability to inhabit characters is brilliant. It's easy to make up your own characters from scratch,  because you can change them to how you want. But because Ben Finn was already created, David had to keep him as the Fable creators wanted, considering most of the readers will be Fable fans. And he did that really well - he got Ben's tone perfect, and all the events that unraveled throughout the novel seem legitimate to his character.

I also really liked the storyline. At first, I did think it was a bit boring - but as I read on, the story developed, and eventually I found myself getting through it so quickly because of how gripping it was. It really did keep me on-edge throughout. So if you have played Fable and have liked it, then I'd definitely suggest checking out Peter David's range of books; you won't be disappointed.
Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment