Thursday 31 May 2012

Still On My Mind (#1)

'Still On My Mind' is a weekly meme hosted by Haley at YA-Aholic where we talk about books that we read ages ago but are still on our minds.



The book that has been on my mind a lot currently is Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I read this book about two years ago (? Something like that anyway) and it is by far one of the best books I have ever read, and if someone asks me "Oh hey, what's your favourite book?" my immediate answer is Before I Die. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Tessa has just months to live. Fighting back against hospital visits, endless tests, drugs with excruciating side-effects, Tessa compiles a list. It’s her To Do Before I Die list. And number one is Sex. Released from the constraints of ‘normal’ life, Tessa tastes new experiences to make her feel alive while her failing body struggles to keep up. Tessa’s feelings, her relationships with her father and brother, her estranged mother, her best friend, and her new boyfriend, all are painfully crystallised in the precious weeks before Tessa’s time finally runs out.

I think what I first of all loved about this novel was that it isn't glorified - she doesn't miraculously recover at the end, and you know she will die eventually. It sticks to the facts, which raises awareness about the seriousness of cancer. But I wouldn't call this a cancer novel. I'd say it's about appreciating the life you have, however long or short the time you have left is. And I love it, I really do. Even though it was ages ago, I still remember bawling practically all the time and just being in love with Tessa and Adam's relationship. After I finished it, I made my friend's read it even though I practically spoiled the whole story for them because it is so good! If you haven't read it, please read it soon - especially because it is being made into a film. Actually, I think it has already been made into a film because I thought it was out, but apparently it isn't yet (films are confusing; stick to books!). So please read this amazing novel, and then go and see the film adaptation (which I forgot to mention earlier is called Now Is Good.)

So what novel is on your mind this week?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining Still on my Mind!!! :D


    I have not rad this book, but if it's your favorite I will deff be checking it out soon! Thanks for the heads up ((:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay :D Oh, you must! You'll love it, I know you will :)

      Delete