Friday 4 May 2012

Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Sometimes sorry isn't enough...
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.
In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.
Em and Chase have been chosen.

This novel has been on my shelf for goodness-knows how long, so I thought it was about time to read it. The blurb sold the story to me so well, and I have to say that it didn't disappoint! Although a new author, Miles is excellent, keeping up with just the right amount of detail - not enough to get bored, but not too little that we are thirsty for more.


I've heard about the Furies in a few different stories, but this has to be the first one where they are perhaps the main enemies. And I did find it fascinating. Scary, but fascinating. And although I have a wild imagination, I think it takes an awful lot of skill for an author to make the reader have goosebumps in sync with the character. It did leave me on edge, and now that I have finished it, I am hungry for more!

However, I think this would have been a better novel if there had been some kind of indication at the beginning as to the fact that Ty, Ali and Meg were the Furies. After a while, it does get obvious, but when you first start to read it, it is confusing and hard to keep up with. But once I did get into it, I was hooked, and I especially loved the alternating POV's between Chase and Em. Usually in books, the switching POV's are basically character's that are close to one another, and roughly tell out the same story. And while these two were connected, they had really different storylines, and I thought that made the story seem vaster - which is a good thing, let me tell you. Although I didn't particularly bond with any of the characters apart from JD, they all seemed quite realistic, and I did have a clear picture of who they were and what they looked like in my head from the beginning, which again, is quite a skill to acquire.

Anyway; I am now hooked on this trilogy, and I can't wait until the next installment comes out - and soon, I hope. If you love fantasy novels that revolve around Greek Mythology (like Percy Jackson, or Starcrossed) then I'm sure you'll love this just as much! Fury is a novel that truly makes you remember the importance of friendship, and how mistakes always have their consequences.
Rating:4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment